Friday, January 18, 2013

Altar space




This is my altar for Brigid and eventually, Imbolc.  I really felt called to make one in Her honor, and to meditate on Her for 19 nights, just as Her priestesses did then, and now

Most items on the altar are in threes, multiples of three or single items.

The altar's center in late afternoon light.

First is a cauldron, a representative of Her well, with a candle inside it.  I should mention that Don and I live with my mom, who is on oxygen all the time, so I can't actually burn incense or candles in the house.  So all "lit" candles are LED ones.  The remainder are reminders of the flame of inspiration that dwells in each of us.  I might actually replace these with LED tea lights, I can't decide.  

ANyways.

Triskele, acorns, and tisane, hiding behind the broach.

Oaks and blackberries are sacred to Brigid, and I went out in the yard and foraged some goodies to add to the cauldron.  9 oak leaves and 3 acorns were placed--6 in the cauldron, and 3 around the back, and the acorns scattered around.  I wove a triquetra from the brambles  I collected and put them on the poetry volumes.

stones, acorns, cherrybark extract, and water goblet.

Surrounding the cauldron are 19 stones, one each to represent her priestesses who kept (keep) her sacred flame alight. 9 are green and are healing in nature, 10 are red or orange and are the sunniest ones in my collection. I also added a clear quartz for Brigid herself in the center of the triquetra.

Bramble triquetra...yes, the thorns did bite, a little.

Years ago I made a Brigid's cross from wheat stems, and it sits next to the cauldron. 

Crafty libation corner. 

There is a cow shaped vessel (meant for cream, really) for her association with cattle and agriculture.  I placed an offering of milk and berries, which I change daily.  I plan to offer different foods/libations as time passes towards Imbolc.  A small goblet of water sits on the other side of the cauldron.  

It is well known that Brigid is a healing goddess, and I put several little tokens of healing on my altar.  A salve that I made with our UU pagan group, a tisane , and an extract. I also tucked in some healing herbs into the cow creamer, and added a sachet of lavender (that makes 3 healing plant items) to the far left side.  Putting out handkerchiefs or other cloths is traditional on the night before Brigid's day to receive healing blessings, and I plan to knit such a special square.  The yarn I've chosen is on the altar now. 

So grateful to Don for letting me steal his Rumi volume.

Brigid is the goddess of smith-craft, and of household-craft.  I've put many different items to represent Her influence:
  • My metal working tools
  • A hand-sewn pincushion with needles and pins
  • Knitting needles
  • Crochet hooks
  • A spindle from my spinning wheel
  • My own hands-spun wool (ewe's are sacred to Brigid, too) yarn 
  • The triskele I made myself
  • A pewter triskele broach
  • A hand-pieced herb/spice pillow
Right side view.

Brigid is also the inspiration for many poets, and I have included some poetry books, mostly earth psalms and prayers, along with my husband's beloved Rumi collection.  Candles, as I mentioned before, are placed around for "her fire of inspiration"--even if they have to be battery operated.  

Handmade triskele.  Next time, I should find my anvil.


I'm sure I might find some other little treasures to put on the altar before Imbolc comes, but this is what's there as of Jan 18, 2013.

Biodh sé amhlaidh.







No comments:

Post a Comment