Friday, July 19, 2013

A quickie project

Poor Hubby's been pestering me for a while to make him some practice poi.  What's a poi?  This, or rather, these are poi.  Poi also refers to the performance art that makes use of them.

Anyways....so I promised him the  poi...and then I got busy with other stuff.  You know how that is, right?  Finding myself between projects, I remembered that I needed to figure out how to make some.


Bright, yes?  Hubby wanted something bright and cheerful, important since he might find himself getting whacked rather frequently with them.  You know, anything to stay upbeat, right?  He chose some Red Heart Super Saver acrylic yarn in Bikini.

I cobbled these together starting with a 24 row sphere from this pattern...but worked only to row 11...from there I worked one plain round, then decreased as per pattern (round 15) until I got down to 37 sts...then I decreased one more stitch on the following round and then decreased every other round by 6 stitches until there were only 6 sts left...then I crocheted those 6 stitches around and around until they were long enough for his arms...20 inches in his case.  Then I worked back and forth across half the stitches (3sts) until long enough to go around his finger, then I sewed those stitches to the 3 unworked ones in the tube.

As you work, don't forget to insert a baggie filled with beans, or some tennis balls into the sack before you get too far with the decrease rounds and can't get them in.  With my gauge (no...I didn't measure), the tennis balls were a tiny bit smaller around, but not enough to matter.


I will say it's a good idea to pull at the cords as you work, to simulate the stretching that will occur as the poi are swung around in the air.  I've read that too long is worse than too short, as far as cord length goes.

Having said that, I'll have to do some mods to this pair of poi...the finger rings are too loose (they stretched, too), so I'll ravel them back by about half the length they are now and then finish them off again.

I think the boy was really happy to get his poi! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment